[Pyrex] using gcc to generate extensions for windows

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Fri Apr 16 16:07:46 CEST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 08:54 AM 4/16/04 +0100, Voidspace wrote:
>
>> In actual the reply from Greg might contain the answer to my further
>> difficulties :-)
>>
>> However - below are the resutls of my *failed* experiments last
>> night.............
>>
>> I thought I'd followed the instructions in :
>> http://randomthoughts.vandorp.ca/syncato/WK/blog/758_Simple_instructions_to_compile_python_C_extensions_in_windows.item
>>
>> to the letter !
>> (Thanks for the replies by the way - both Phillip and Greg).
>>
>> Now the 'random thoughts' page says that after installing MinGW
>> successfully and adding a disutils.cfg file (which didn't exist
>> already).... I ought to be able to compile extensions from disutils
>> automagically.................
>>
>> However it seems that maybe :
>>
>>  python setup.py build_ext --compiler=mingw32
>>
>> is the right way instead.... (I'll try it when I get home)
>

> Where did you put the distutils.cfg?  It has to go in your
> Python2X\Lib\distutils directory.  Mine looks like this:
>
> [build]
> compiler=mingw32
>
> If you have that in place, you should never need the --compiler flag.
> In the two years I've had that file, I've never needed --compiler or -c.
>
> Second, did you actually build a 'libpython2x.a' file?  You didn't
> mention that.  If you didn't do that, you're not going to be able to
> actually build a .pyd.  See step 2 on this page:
>
> http://sebsauvage.net/python/mingw.html
>

> (By the way, whenever I refer to "python2x" I mean e.g. python22 or
> python23, as appropriate for what version you're using.)
>

>> F:\Python Projects\c>gcc -shared primes.o -o primes.so
>

> That won't work.  Windows uses '.pyd' files, not '.so' files.  And,
> you've got no -L here to specify where your libpython is at.

Can you tell me what the correct gcc incantion would be to generate a
.pyd I guestimated with the following result.:

D:\Python Projects\c>gcc -shared primes.o -L
D:\Python23\libs\libpython23.a  -o
primes.pyd
primes.o(.text+0x5f):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyArg_ParseTupleAnd
Keywords'
primes.o(.text+0x7c):primes.c: undefined reference to `_imp___Py_NoneStruct'
primes.o(.text+0x94):primes.c: undefined reference to `_imp__PyList_New'
primes.o(.text+0x1f5):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyObject_GetAttrSt
ring'
primes.o(.text+0x22f):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyInt_FromLong'
primes.o(.text+0x268):primes.c: undefined reference to `_imp__PyTuple_New'
primes.o(.text+0x2c4):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyObject_CallObjec
t'
primes.o(.text+0x4e3):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__Py_InitModule4'
primes.o(.text+0x4fa):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyImport_AddModule
'
primes.o(.text+0x51d):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyObject_SetAttrSt
ring'
primes.o(.text+0x5a2):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyString_FromStrin
g'
primes.o(.text+0x5c0):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyString_FromStrin
g'
primes.o(.text+0x5e1):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyModule_GetDict'
primes.o(.text+0x5fe):primes.c: undefined reference to `_imp__PyTuple_New'
primes.o(.text+0x61e):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyString_FromStrin
g'
primes.o(.text+0x662):primes.c: undefined reference to `_imp__PyCode_New'
primes.o(.text+0x682):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyThreadState_Get'

primes.o(.text+0x68d):primes.c: undefined reference to `_imp__PyFrame_New'
primes.o(.text+0x6b4):primes.c: undefined reference to
`_imp__PyTraceBack_Here'

D:\Python Projects\c>

--

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

---
http://www.atlantibots.org.uk
Atlantibots - stomping across the worlds of Atlantis.
Building with Python - programming language that rules the world.
---
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk