[Pyrex] Hang on ia64 arch and gcc-3.4

Sam Rushing sam-pyrex at rushing.nightmare.com
Fri Jul 23 23:40:27 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 20:30, Greg Ewing wrote:
> I haven't yet decided whether it would be a good idea to make Pyrex
> more complicated just to fix this. My current feeling is that it's the
> fault of distutils for not letting you crank the warning level down to
> something more reasonable for processing machine-generated code.

[Sorry for the temporal disconnect here, just joined the list]

I've been looking into the problem with warnings today.

At IronPort we build frozen, statically-linked binaries, so we're still
using Modules/Setup.local to build our extensions.

We use '-Wall' in everything we build, and of course we can't relax that
just to handle pyrex output.  However, the following trick seems to
work, with gcc, on a single module.

1) Add 'W' to the list of 'cppargs' in Modules/makesetup (line 161):
-                       -[IDUCfF]*)     cpps="$cpps $arg";;
+                       -[IDUCfFW]*)    cpps="$cpps $arg";;

2) Add '-Wno-unused' to the line in Setup:

mymod -Wno-unused mymod.c

This is still leaving 'uninitialized' warnings, but I'm sure that can be
dealt with the same way...

-Sam