[Pyrex] Hang on ia64 arch and gcc-3.4

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Jun 25 23:37:46 CEST 2004

In the process of building the dbus python bindings for ia64 and gcc-3.4
the build fails.  I am pretty sure Pyrex generated code is hitting a
obscure gcc bug and that it might have to do with all the warnings the
code produces.  I am wondering if any work is being done to make the
generated code just a bit tighter so that it doesn't produce code that
causes compiler warnings.  The gcc bug itself should be fixed but if
tighter code will cause this bug to go away for the dbus bindings I
would be happy in the short term.  I don't know if anyone runs pyrex on
an ia64 box with gcc-3.4 and wants to look at this problem.  Pyrex
shouldn't be spitting out pages of warnings anyway so a fix to that
would benefit many people.  Anyway, I don't have time to work on it
right now but wanted to alert you guys.  If there can be a discussion on
the issues with cleaning up and what is involved I might be able to lend
a hand after the Gnome api freeze on the 19th of July.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer