(Fwd) Re: [Pyrex] Desperate pyrex/c++ help.

len-l at telus.net len-l at telus.net
Sat Apr 23 03:01:54 CEST 2005

Date sent:      	Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:54:53 +1200
From:           	qzm <stuartaw at gmail.com>
Send reply to:  	qzm <stuartaw at gmail.com>
To:             	"len-l at telus.net" <len-l at telus.net>
Subject:        	Re: [Pyrex] Desperate pyrex/c++ help.

On 4/23/05, len-l at telus.net <len-l at telus.net> wrote:
> The best way to answer this is to refer to previous postings on the subject:
>
> Problems with compiling a module using a C++ compiler
> http://lists.copyleft.no/pipermail/pyrex/2003-August/000237.html
>
> Pyrex and C++
> http://lists.copyleft.no/pipermail/pyrex/2003-November/000415.html
>
> really wanting C++ support
> http://lists.copyleft.no/pipermail/pyrex/2003-May/000076.html
>
> As far as I know Pyrex support of C++ is still an open issue. For now Boost seems
> to be the popular alternative to Swig for creating Python extension modules in C++.
>
> Lenard Lindstrom
> <len-l at telus.net>

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen these previous items, but kind of hoped that things had
moved along, as there does seem to be hints of C++ support in pyrex
itself.
In the end I have done a slightly ugly double-wrap of the functions I
need in C (an extra .cpp job in the setup.py, that has both a .hpp to
include the COM objects, and a .h for the C external interface exposed
to pyrex) that does work, but is certainly not pretty.

I have used Boost for some purposes for years, but for all its good
points, it is like cracking a peanut with a sledgehammer, it is up
there with STL in complexity.

It would be a wonderful thing for pyrex to support simple wrapping of
windows COM objects, as this is one area which can cause piles of
problems for windows./python users.

Regards,
Stuart.