[Pyrex] Anyone used VendorID with Pyrex?

Matt Campbell matt at mattcampbell.us
Wed Mar 30 03:49:57 CEST 2005

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Is this really necessary? As an extension writer, I wouldn't
> consider it my job to attempt to enforce someone else's
> license restriction. It's impossible anyway -- there's nothing
> to stop someone modifying their Python interpreter to look
> however the check wants, or writing their own wrapper for
> the library.

First, in the case of Qt (for which VendorID was originally written), it
is indeed necessary.  According to the VendorID home page, the Qt
commercial license agreement says:

Applications may not pass on functionality which in any way makes it
possible for others to create software with the Licensed Software;

I'm guessing that license agreements for other commercial libraries have
similar conditions.  It is theoretically possible to circumvent the
enforcement provided by VendorID, but it's reasonably difficult, see
section 1.3 in the VendorID documentation if you're interested.  And
people can only write their own wrappers if they have the header files
and/or the API docs, which aren't freely available for most commercial
libraries.

And thanks for the tip on what part of Pyrex to modify.

Matt