[Pyrex] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.4 - LValue Casts are Dead!

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Tue Apr 18 12:00:07 CEST 2006

Stefan Behnel wrote:

>I'd also be happy if the following little patch was applied in the fixed
>version to enable the use of setuptools in setup.py (for eggs and the like).

Doing it like you propose will make a lot of people upset -- just
because they have ('were forced to have') setuptools installed doesn't
mean they want to make .eggs out of everything. If there are any
setuptools features wanted I think it's better to use this:

import sys
if 'setuptools' in sys.modules:
    do_stuff_here()

However, this seems completely unnecessary in the setup.py file --
setuptools will work fine as is, and apparently none of its features
need to be manually enabled. So there's no need for a patch.

But with the above, the following works:
python -c "import setuptools; execfile('setup.py')" bdist_egg

but it doesn't upset anyone who was forced to install setuptools against
her will.

Although I'm not one of them (quite the opposite), there are people who
really dislike setuptools out there....