[Pyrex] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.4 - LValue Casts are Dead!

Stefan Behnel behnel_ml at gkec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Apr 18 12:18:02 CEST 2006

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>
>> I'd also be happy if the following little patch was applied in the fixed
>> version to enable the use of setuptools in setup.py (for eggs and the like).
>>
> Doing it like you propose will make a lot of people upset -- just
> because they have ('were forced to have') setuptools installed doesn't
> mean they want to make .eggs out of everything.
[...]
> Although I'm not one of them (quite the opposite), there are people who
> really dislike setuptools out there....

I know. Still, if you have it installed, you'd be annoyed if it wasn't
available if you wanted to use it. Just try

python setup.py bdist_egg

with the current version. That's all the patch enables. It doesn't do any harm
if you're not using eggs. Admittedly, the name of the directory where Pyrex is
installed in site-packages will now contain the Pyrex version number if you
have setuptools installed. Probably nothing the system admin would not love
you for...

Note also that Pyrex is never installed as a zipped egg as it's not considered
zip-safe.