[Pyrex] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.4 - LValue Casts are Dead!

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Apr 19 03:42:35 CEST 2006

At 01:07 PM 4/19/2006 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>>However, this seems completely unnecessary in the setup.py file --
>>setuptools will work fine as is, and apparently none of its features
>>need to be manually enabled. So there's no need for a patch.
>
>Okay, I'll disregard that part of the patch.

But I do hope you'll register a CheeseShop entry so people who do use
setuptools can run easy_install without having to explicitly give your home
page URL.

>>Although I'm not one of them (quite the opposite), there are people who
>>really dislike setuptools out there....
>
>I've just seen a post in python-dev which suggests that
>setuptools does some rather rude things to your existing
>installation,

What rude things?  If it's not something that I said, or the documentation
says, or the source code says, I'd suggest taking it with a *very* large
grain of salt.

In any case, if you're happy with distutils, there's really no reason to
switch to setuptools.  Certainly you don't need to switch to make anybody
else happy.  If you've got an adequate Cheeseshop entry and a setup.py that
doesn't do any truly exotic extensions to the distutils, people who *do*
use setuptools will be able to install Pyrex just fine.

Setuptools, by the way, has always included support for building extensions
with Pyrex, and in fact includes code that dynamically fixes the Python 2.4
argument problem on the fly if necessary.  So if fixing bugs is rude,
setuptools is a right rude bastard.  :)

I haven't played with Pyrex 0.9.4 yet, though, so I don't know whether
anything needs to be updated in setuptools for compatibility when building
extensions in a setuptools-based package.  I should probably upgrade PEAK
or PyProtocols or something to use Pyrex 0.9.4 and see if everything still
works.