[Pyrex] New Distutils implementation for Pyrex.

Billy G. Allie bill.allie at defiant.mug.org
Fri Aug 3 22:31:24 CEST 2007

Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Billy G. Allie wrote:
>
>> I've implesmentd a new version of
>> buld_ext.py and created a version of core.py and extension.py.
>>

> first thing I noticed when running a patched Cython: setuptools break. They
> already patch into distutils, so the patching in your code doesn't work. I
> would prefer doing without changes to core.py and extensions.py. AFAICT, this
> removes the support for configuring import directories at the Extension level.
>
> Alternatively, we could also import things from setuptools first and only fall
> back to distutils. However, this would bug people who have setuptools
> installed and want to build with distutils (for whatever reason, don't know
> how common that is).
>
> I'll take a deeper look into this.
>
> Stefan

Hmmm. I've never used setuptools, so it wasn't a problem with me :-)
A possible solution would be to try to import setuptools version of core
and or extension if they exist, otherwise import the distutils version.
I'll get the source for setuptools and see what they are doing. (This
may take me a couple of days to investigate).