[Pyrex] ANN: Pyrex 0.9.6

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Oct 8 09:21:02 CEST 2007

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> Greg, what are your points to not have a public repository with
> incremental changes?

I'm considering it, but I haven't thought through all the
implications of how it would work.

I don't think I'm ready to let people make direct patches
to it yet. I find it an extreme intellectual challenge to
keep track of how it all works. I don't just apply patches
as-is -- I need to examine each one carefully to make sure
it isn't going to have any unforeseen consequences, and to
keep my own mental model of the whole thing up to date.

I could perhaps establish a repository and let people add
things in branches, but the main trunk wouldn't look much
different from the current sequence of released versions.
Any contributed patches would likely end up in the trunk
in a quite different form, if at all.

Keep in mind that I'm still *designing* Pyrex. When I
modify it, I'm not just patching the code, I'm patching
the design, and that's not something you can automate with
a source code control tool.

> We were not aware that you were about to release
> a new version and couldn't help you with testing, that's really bad!

Well, you're helping now. :-) I suppose I could have called
it 0.9.6rc1 or something, but there's little practical
difference. The version number is still less than 1.0,
you'll notice. As far as I'm concerned, *all* of the
versions released so far are alpha, beta, rc, or whatever
you like to call them.

> Sorry, but those points lead my team to change from Pyrex to Cython.

I'll give the idea of a repository further consideration.
In the meantime, if Cython fills a need as a repository of
experimental Pyrex patches, I'm very happy for you to use it
as such.

--
Greg