[Pyrex] Fast matrices over GF(p)

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Mon Mar 24 19:00:33 CET 2008

On Mar 22, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Simon King wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>>
>> Sounds very interesting! Sage has been mostly optimized to deal
>> with very
>> large matrices, and GF(p) for p barely fitting into a word (to
>> facilitate
>> linear algebra over Z and Q). It sounds like your code does much
>> better for
>> small p. Do you mind if I forward your email onto sage-devel?
>
> I am on sage-devel, myself. So i wouldn't mind.
>
> But it is of course not *my* code. MeatAxe can be found at
> http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~MTX/. My contribution is just a
> wrapper, i
> didn't improve the arithmetics. Actually i use a rather old version of
> C-MeatAxe. This is because my boss (David Green) wrote C-code for
> computing cohomology, relying on the old C-MeatAxe.

Some of us ran into MeatAxe before, but no one had any experience
with it or knew anyone who used it, so nothing ever happened of it. I
was thinking since you actually use it (and have a Cython wrapper)
you would know what it's strengths/weaknesses are and whether or not
it would be worth including in Sage.

- Robert