[Pyrex] A couple of questions about pyrex

Franck Pommereau pommereau at univ-paris12.fr
Tue May 12 18:15:15 CEST 2009

> Think further down the road after that is done,
> if some day we decided to use 'cdef class' for
> private class definitions

I don't think that cdef should be interpreted as private. But it means
that what follows is a native object (ie, implemented in C) instead of a
Python object.

So if you cdef a type, a variable or a function, there is no way to
access it from Python because C and Python have different conventions
for such objects (eg, Python uses name bindings in environment and has
no proper notion of variable, and calling conventions are different also).

On the other hand, if you cdef a class, there is no way to see it as a
class from C because there is no such notion here. But anyway you get a
class implemented in C, which is considered a builtin class by Python.

Presented this way, it looks fully consistent (at least to me).

Cheers,
Franck