[Loom-devel] Re: Can you set up this CVS account?

Joakim Ziegler joakim at styx.net
Wed Feb 2 19:27:19 CET 2000

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 01:35:33PM +0000, Iain wrote:
>> Yeah, we figured that out, and a few other problems too. Everything should be
>> back to normal now, the server had a filesystem error...

>>> I've got the "boilerplate" stuff of all canvasitems written for the
>>> terrain item, and a document that "explains" what the terrain item is.
>>> I'll put it onto the CVS later.

>> Excellent. I just set up another mailing list, loom-auto, which will get
>> mails with summaries of all CVS commits.

> Cool. It all works.
> I stuck some stuff up on it.
> Nothing much really.

I noticed, it looks good so far.

> I was thinking that probably the best way to do the map stuff, would be to
> have a widget that is derived from GnomeCanvas, say loom_map, and so you'd
> just do
> GtkWidget *map;
> map = loom_map_new ();
> gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (container), map);

> and have this loom_map have functions like set_map, get_map, and other
> things I can't think of now :). This loom_map widget would do all the
> required stuff for displaying the map, splitting it up into smaller items,
> so the programmer never has to think about terrain_item's etc.

That sounds good. If we're doing this right, the map (which is a structure in
itself that we haven't really thought about) should probably be a model in a
MVC architecture, so that the programmer can poke them map using some
function calls, and have that change reflected in the display.

> Another thing, what args should the terrain_item have? I've got map width,
> map height, z, map, tile_width, tile_height. I can't really think of
> anymore.

That's probably enough for now. I'm thinking at the very least one callback
pointer, "event", which can be called if something happens on that tile (a
unit enters, a unit leaves, a unit attacks, whatever). Perhaps we should have
more callbacks, but at least one is needed (we can send an event structure as
an argument to that callback).

Joakim Ziegler - styx research director - joakim at styx.net
FIX sysop - FIXmud admin - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer