[Loom-devel] [raph@acm.org: Re: Isometric tile engine, using the Canvas.]

Joakim Ziegler joakim at styx.net
Fri Feb 4 21:15:01 CET 2000

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 08:10:53PM +0000, Iain wrote:
>> I'm a little unclear on this. What is that, exactly, and what would we use it
>> for?

> Basically, it's a line drawn round the zigzaggy edge of the tiles, that
> indicates that the item isn't to draw anything outside the line, so that
> it won't draw anything over the item next to it. There are other ways of
> doing it, but I think libart will do it for us, but I've never tried, and
> I don't even know if it will.

> hopefully it will, as I think it should simplfy things a lot ie, we can
> just say "Draw this chunk of memory, with this clip path" instead of
> having to work it out manually.

Ok, we can't do this using simply a transparency mask/alpha channel?
Otherwise, it sounds good, if a little overkill to use an actual clipping
path.

> BTW, I think I've worked out how Gnumeric has lots of grids. I think it
> only has the number that are required to fill the screen, and then they
> are fixed in place. Note that the canvas doesn't change until you let go
> of the scrollbar.

Ok, that might make sense. If so, we can just emulate that behaviour (a
spreadsheet grid is remarkably similar to a tile map, anyway).

Joakim Ziegler - styx research director - joakim at styx.net
FIX sysop - FIXmud admin - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer