[PP-main] working towards peer press 1.0

Rusty Foster rusty at kuro5hin.org
Sun Mar 12 23:56:43 CET 2000

Nick Lothian wrote:

> No - I can't say I agree with this. Sites should be free to distribute
> whatever they want, and client sites should choose what they show based on
> their capabilities and interests.

I second this. Content providers should provide a description of
multimedia content, including what it is, what format/codec it's in, how
big the file is, and where to find it, but I see no value in imposing
rules on what codec we'll "allow" sites to offer or accept.

--R

> I can see no reason that the syndication system should care what format the
> data is in. The XML description file should describe the content of the file
> sufficiently to be able to choose if a client wants it or not.
>
> I don't really want to get in to a philsophical discussion about what
> freedom is, but what if someone wants to syndicate flash graphics, or even
> GIF images (or MS Word files) surely we should allow that?
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Nick

|      Rusty Foster       | "You can never entirely stop being what   |
|   rusty at kuro5hin.org    | you once were. That's why it's important  |
|    rusty at intes.net      | to be the right person today, and not put |
| http://www.kuro5hin.org | it off till tomorrow."        -Larry Wall |