[Tr.h.] Café NordSør - Microfinance - 22nd of March

Inger Gløersen gloersen at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 19 12:54:57 UTC 2007

Dear friends,

You are all welcome to the Café NordSør meeting:

Microfinance - One solution fits all?

When: March 22nd at 19:00
Where: ISAK (Prinsensgt 44)
MAP:
http://www.finn.no/finn/map?utmx=270150&utmy=7042110&mapTitle=PRINSENS%20GATE+44,+7011,+Trondheim

The Nobel Peace Prize was in 2006 awarded to Muhammad Yunus and
Grameen bank for their efforts to create economic and social
development through microfinance. Muhammad Yunus is the founder of
Grameen Bank, a microfinance organization which is giving out small
loans to poor people. Is this a sustainable solution to combat
poverty? Can it be successfully applied in all types of societies  and
cultures? Does the engagement of the business sector have a  positive
influence? We would like to put focus on the pros and cons  of
microfinance, a concept which is far away from traditional
development aid.

Speakers:

- Dr.Thomas Dichter, anthropologist and writer (currently writing the
book "What is wrong with microfinance?")

- Guri Wiggen, journalist and writer (check out her article "Fra
almisser til verdighet? Mikrokreditt - bank for fattige":
http://www.civita.no/index.php?mod=pub&id=20  )

- Parvez Kapoor, senior advisor in Norad

The meeting will be held in English. We hope to see you all! You are
warmly welcome. And don't forget to bring your friends!

Warmest regards,
Inger Gløersen
www.ntnu.no/cafenordsor
Café NordSør